I am sure that all of you would have heard about the keto diet. The keto diet refers to a limited carbohydrates diet. It is a very low-carb, high-fat diet that drastically reduced the intake of carbs in your body and replaces it with high-fat intake. When there is a reduction of carbs in your body, your system goes into a metabolic state called ketosis. Before embarking on a keto diet, what you have to realize is that, the ketogenic diet is used for weight loss, and not when you are doing it for the health benefits. While the diet is mainly undertaken to lose weight, it can also be done to treat diseases like epilepsy, certain brain diseases, and heart problems as well.
It’s not just one form of keto diet that exists. Various types of keto diets that you can follow are:
- Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD): This is a very low carb, high fat, and moderate protein diet. If there’s a change in the level of carbs consumed, then the diet would go awry.
- Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD): Here, there will be periods where larger amount of carbs will be taken. For example, 5 days of ketogenic diet followed by 2 high carb days.
- Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD): This diet is mainly for people who have a high level of activity like sportspersons. TKD can be integrated with workouts for intensive results. You can add carbs along workouts.
- High Protein Ketogenic Diet: Similar to an SKD, this diet too employs almost same methods. It is just that this diet includes more protein. The ratio that is followed is often 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs.
- What would be an ideal keto meal plan for a week?
While small snacks can be had after breakfast and in the evening, it is not necessary to have these snacks unless you feel the need for it. The snacks can be anything ranging from a cucumber to a finger sandwich.
Breakfast can be an omelet with cheese, some scrambled cheese with pepper, berries, and a cup of coffee or tea. Lunch can consist of a simple salad with veggies and fruits, cauliflower curry, and some paneer tikka. Dinner will be chicken curry that is made with less spices, paneer pakora, and coconut water. This looks an ideal keto plan for a week. The dishes can also be changed after a week to soy nuggets, mushroom soup, variety of juices etc.
What are the benefits of a ketogenic diet?
There are several benefits if you are looking to undertake a keto diet. Most of them are those that save you from having various diseases.
The first and foremost benefit of a keto diet is that it helps you lose weight faster than other diets. The reason for this may be that your body burns more calories while changing fat into energy. The other reason may be that since it is a high-fat based diet, it can satisfy you.
Carbs, many a times, have been the reason for pimples and acne. So, cutting down on carbs can lead to a drop in acne. Also, when there’s lesser insulin produced, acne breakouts reduce as well.
Insulin is a hormone which results in your body storing sugar as fuel. But, when you are in a keto diet, it doesn’t require the storage of insulin as it burns through it. These lower levels of insulin can help you against some forms of cancer.
What are the disadvantages of a keto diet?
Some side effects of undertaking the keto diet are mild-level low blood sugar, constipation, or indigestion. These side effects are not at all serious and can be shooed away after you get used to the diet. Lesser than often, engaging in a keto diet can lead to kidney stones, or even a condition called acidosis which leads to high acid levels in the body. Another side effect that many people have said that they have been a victim of, is the ‘keto flu’. This ‘flu’ includes headache, weakness, and irritability, bad breath, and even fatigue.
So, if you are planning to undergo the diet, just be careful to diet with care and awareness. Going back to your normal life style after a keto diet can be tricky especially if you have high blood pressure or a similar issue. Before jumping headfirst into the diet, always consult a doctor to proceed safely.